Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday March 15 Arriving in Barcelona

Tuesday March 12

The train trip was ok. I enjoyed watching the scenery go passed. France is very civilized and all the farmland is so neat and tidy. It has many shades of green. All the little creeks are full with recent rain and there are no muddy swamps or piles of abandoned farm machinery. As I was watching a cold front was moving in and snow was predicted in the Mediterranean mountains. As we sped
on south at 300kms/hr clouds began to cover the mountains and by the time we got to the Mediterranean coast there was heavy mist. The sea was rough and all the rivers were in flood.

The city of Nimes was our first stop after leaving Paris and as we moved westward along the coast we were now stopping every 20 minutes or so. Our speed was only 200 kms/hr now. At Filierd-Vict?, just over the Spanish border, we changed trains to a Spanish train which was baby version of the TVG. As we approach Barcelona most of the rivers were full and running fast. The river running through Barcelona was raging and all the hills around were in mist.

We arrived at Estacio de Sants about 3/4 hours late. By the time l exchanged my return ticket to Sunday, then bought my museum pass and a 10 metro ticket pack, there was only enough time to get on the metro to get to the hostel on time.

It was not as cold as Paris when I emerged from the metro station at Catalunya Place. After a short pause to orient myself in a new city, I headed to the hostel at 33 Passage de Garcia. (Google Map link)


I selected this hostel as it was exactly on the border of the old and the modern city. There was a small problem at check-in as they put me in a 12 person room instead of the 4 person room I booked. I now have a 4 bed room to myself.

After settling in I ventured outside and shouted myself a 10 euro all-you-can-eat meal near bye. I then assessed the night streets and secured up my pockets. Given all the warning I had been reading there was no problem at all and the streets looked very safe and civilised. Never drop your guard is the traveler's moto.

I walked up the street less than a block and there, all lit up was the amazing Casa Batllo (Gaudi) and the Casa Amatlier (Cafafalch) . Of course I had my camera ready. Realising how close I was to more features I continued up Passage Gracia to the famous La Casa Mila (Goudi). I glanced down a side street saw the Fundacio museum with Antonio Tapies sculpture on top (Cloud and Chair). All this was a prize as I had planned to do this walk on my way from the train station but I got delayed.

I made my way back to the hostel and made a good contact with a Dutch traveller who lives in Amsterdam and wants to give me some tips when I get there. Hostels have their advantages.

No comments: