Tuesday, February 14, 2012

20120214 Colorado-Ski into Benedict's Fritz hut


20120214 Colorado-Ski into Benedict's Fritz hut.


 We left Edwards at 7:10 in heavy snow. The drive on the I70 through Glenwood Canyon was very difficult as large tanker trucks were travelling very fast and we had to be very careful.


At Glenwood Springs we took the 116 exit to join the 82 route  Aspen.  There was a lot of slow traffic and the trip took us 3 hour. 1 hour longer than planned.

We followed the map instructions to the trail head parking area and there was dispute in the group as where the trail started. We had to move the car to the upper trail head and managed to park in one of the 4 allocated spaces. This trail head was at a different location than I had started from on a previous visit hut trip.

It became apparent that none of the local skiers knew where the trail began and I resorted to my memory plus my map and compass.

We started along the trail at 10:37, heading upstream, with Susan's 2 large dogs which made skiing very difficult as they would move back and forth and the trail push us off the track. I quickly moved forward to the front of the group, now 5 plus 2 dogs,  and got ahead to avoid the dogs.

Starting at 8,600' the trail crossed the main Hunter Creek on a solid wooden bridge and we proceeded downstream on the southern bank until we came to a sign post to Smugglers Road. I hesitated here as there was no reference to Benedicts Hut. I got into trouble from the group for indecision. I then saw a blue diamond which confirmed this was the 10 mountain trail. This was the begriming of our 3,100' climb to the huts at 11,700. Deep breath right now!

Here we began to climb and soon crossed the marked minor creek. The trail now became very steep and we continued up the ridge line to meet Smugglers Road at 9,000'.  A slightly easier climb took us to a large clearing on a saddle in the ridge. At this point we joined a road which rose steeply from Aspen (a snowmobile route) and we passed through a style. We  contemplated the signpost map which showed many other roads the no mention of the hut. We took the obvious route up the ridge. At a junction with no signage we met a snow boarder who was returning from the hut and he was able to confirm our route. There was now a clear foot track to follow to the hut.

The trail climbed steeply winding its way up the ridge and presenting us with ever more spectacular views of the mountains south of Aspen. The trail now dropped off the ridge to the north and into a gully. We meet 2 skiers and a snow sho'er who tool us they had left the hut 2 hours ago. We estimated we had 3 hours climbing to go. The trail became extremely steep a I proceeded in a meditative mode. One small automatic step at a time.  Along here we met the final group of skiers from the hut. They had narrow cross-country skis and were not having fun descending this steep trail.

Steve and I continued on in silence finally reaching the top of this long climb at 10,100'. We made a place to have lunch. As we were reading to get going again Julie Peterson caught up with us at this point and she stayed in front of us visual contact for most of the remaining climb.

The trail levelled out at about 2 miles before the huts as it crossed the tops of Smugglers mountain range. It was a big relief to walk the undulations after the main climb. The forest even seemed friendlier as the pine tree sat relaxed and comfortable in the deep snow having no need to cling to a steep hill side.

The climb had been tiring and I was looking forward to the hut coming into sight around the 'next' left-hand turn. I had been closely consulting my map as we had climbed and now it was stuffed in my pocket as I cruised along the undulation hills. Ahead I saw Steve and Julie a a trail junction in close consultation. As I arrived maps were brought out to determine the way to go. The way left was the obvious route - but no! - the map showed a 400' steep climb. I hadn't noticed this minor detail. I was expecting a hut to show itself very soon but now I had to climb 400 ^&*@ feet. Steve and Julie was now ahead and I set my mind to the final climb.

I found the climb very difficult and put it down to the 11,700 altitude. Altitude was sure to make you feel like as old man. I had to control my heart rate carefully. I finally reached the hut and rested in the very comfortable bunks and surroundings. (The next morning I was to discover I had caught the local flue - runny nose and harsh cough - the same cough some of the group hard at Vance's hut a week before).

I found the energy to cook the night's meal with Steve and Tom. Tom's marinated meat was a winner.

We could not help but to be impressed with the construction of this hut. It is certainly the best of the 7 10th Mountain Division hut the I have visited. The external timbers making up the gables supports and the internal mixture of sawn and rough timber in the jointed ceiling were all impressive. The natural round timber poles with short branches kept in place for clothing hooks were surprisingly useful. The rustic kitchen shelf supports. The most surprising structure of all was the external toilet. It was built with two large plain glass windows which looked out to inspiring views of mountain tops framed in pines heavy with snow.   All the work of a very creative builder.

No comments: