Monday, February 28, 2011

Galleries & Monuments: Tuesday Feb 22 to Sunday Feb 27

Tuesday Feb 22
We arrived at the Gare Asterlitz at 7:30 am then walked back home to the I'le St Louis. I spent the morning resting and organising photo and writing. I have booked the overnight trains to Nice for our next ski trip when we were in Biancon, I also needed to give some thought to my Barcelona trip.

In the afternoon I went out shopping for food and did a quick walk around the island.

Wednesday Feb 23
I had to return the Avalanche beacon (called ARVA's in France) to the shop "La Haute Route" 33 Boulevard Henry IV. Hence I decide to include a walk to the Bastille and learn about all that "storming" that went on there.

I found the shop ok and returned the ARVA and tried to get a goretex patch kit to repair Fritz's pack (my ski bindings had put a hole in the pack he lent me). They sent me to "Vieux Campeur at 48 rue des Escoles. This was just across the Seine and in the Latin Quarter of the city (so called because it is the university are and long ago all teaching was done in Latin and everyone in this area spoke in Latin). But first i was now on my way to the Bastille. The Bastille was a great fortress which became a prison and the old plan is marked out in cobble stone around the Place de la Bastille. The prison was not a popular place and was to focus of the revolutionaries in July 1789. The current column was built 50 year later to commemorate and record the name of those who died in the storming.

I walked back down Boulevard Henry IV across the river and found the Veux Campeur shop and got the repair kit. Makes me feel a bit happier. Returned to the I'le St Louis and am beginning to feel comfortable around the city.

Thursday Feb 24
Set out to do make a start on the biggest project - the Louvre. I had previously check out the Louvre and got the necessary maps. I planned, and completed, to do the 1st floor only - the old masters from the 14th C to the 17th C. It was hard work and I had to control my time carefully.
Following the development of detailed painting and design of mainly religious subjects. (The cost of paint was prohibitive and these were all commissioned art). To greater understanding of drafting the human body and much later understanding perspective. The colours improved in the 17th C and design became more important. By the 18th C there was much of the beginning of impressionism. (update more later)
I was able to photograph all the paintings and notes (in French!!) I found interesting. I will publish these in my photo album on filsonplace.com (soon)

This floor took me all day to cover.

Friday Feb 25
I planned a big day. First I wanted to see the important sites on the I'le de la l'Cite. The other big cathedral - St Chapelle, The Palias de Justice and the Conciergerie. These 3 took all day and I had to revise my plans. I also bought a 4 day Musee Pass It was very cost effective and by the end of the day I was 20 euro ahead).

Saturday Feb 26
Back to the Louvre to do the 2nd Floor - Flemish, Dutch, German and a huge section of French paints all covering the period 14th C to 18th C.

Again,I was able to photograph all the paintings and notes (in French!!) I found interesting and will publish these in my photo album on filsonplace.com (soon)

Click here to link to Louvre 2nd floor photo notes

Sunday Feb 27

I set off to do the Arc de Triomphe and Tour de Eiffel to get the best out of my 4 day Musee pass

Standing on top these huge monuments was amazing. Paris has been "height restricted" to maintain the old character of the city and being so high above gave me the same aerial perspective as the first scene of the movie Moulin Rouge. I felt I could zoom down into the streets of Paris. I squeezed in two more Mussees - A science Museum in the Grand Palace - which is a great science learning centre for kids, and the Petit Palace where I saw some nice Monet and Cezanne paintings.

I managed to master the Metro today.

No comments: