Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Getting there and arrival in Paris

The flight got away exactly on time and took an interesting tour up the Australian coastline. It flew directly north and inland crossing the coast just south of Cairns. I could see a small sized town which could have been in the Tully area but I could not see any cyclone damage. It then flew out to sea and directly over the reef,\ and we could see clearly many small coral quays. There were many boats moored around each and in some cases I was sure I could see small buildings on some of the quays. After we flew over New Guinea and the might Septic River which was muddy and there were a number of mining settling ponds on the valuable riverside farmland.

They served some very good Korean food "Bibimbap", the hostess was overjoyed that I had this meal.

We down to land in Seoul and saw a neatly laid out city with many low rise apartment buildings.  The river flats were still kept as farmland all the way though the city. The Hyatt hotel had a good buffet and I slept well.

Monday 13th 2011

It was a long 11 hour flight from Seoul to Paris. Some nice Korean food again. Flew over parts of China and Mongolia. Siberia was a long and bleak sight with a thin icy cover all over and not very deep snow. The Ural mountains were interesting. Finally the neat villages of the French countryside turned up and I was in France.

Made it through the baggage and customs ok and got the RER B line train to Paris and the Garde St Michel- Notre Dame. After I struggled up the stairs with my gear and skis I was confronted with the sight of the Notre Dame Cathedral - I had to stop and take in the sight. It really brought it home to me that I was in Paris. I crossed the Seine at the Rue de la Cite and walked to face the facade of Notre Dame. Its powerful presence brought me to a stop again. I sudied the elaborate entrances, the wooden doorways atopped by the Gallery of Kings and the Central Rose Window. I then proceeded down the street to the left and along the side of the great Cathedral walking beneath the gargols and famous flying buttresses. I crossed the Pont St Louis to the Ile St Louis.

I proceeded along the quay to the Rue Regrattier and met up with Fritz. We had a long talk and then Fritz took me on an evening tour of the Ile St Louis. The classical building all biult around 1690. Most of the buildings had a plaque detailing its history. I was particularly taken when I found a building where Emile Bonnard lived for 30 years.(check).
We return to Fritz's home and met Beverly and Fitz cooked a very nice meat tart and salad. We are delaying our first ski trip as it is snowing all this week and it will be best to ski after the snow settles.

No comments: