Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Walk on the left bank and the Musee d'Orsay

Tuesday Feb 15, 2011
Fritz came down for a morning coffee and he spread out a couple of topo maps and we discussed possible skiing areas for our first ski trip. We decided we would do a trip on a large limestone plateux in the area between the town of Die and the City of Grenoble. We went over the maps and planned some possible routes. We many have to camp out one night in a simple shelter.

Today I planned to walk the streets of Paris and not get the metro. I wanted to get a feel for where things are in the city and to observe what people do each day. I set out about 9:30 am to go to the Musse d'Orsay where most of the Impressionist painting are now hung. I chose a route which passed the birth place of Edouard Manet and also to find the studio of Frederic Bazille, which both Claude Monet and Auguste Renoir were invited to share with him while they all attended the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. So I retraced my steps back to Notre Dame, took some photos of the butresses, then crossed to the left bank of the Seine and walked along the "quai's" to the Pont Neuf. I crossed this bridge briefly to see from where both Monet and Renoir did their paintings of it in 1872. I continue back on the left bank and visited Manet's birthplace a 5 rue Bonapart. It was being renovated and the old man in the shop at number 3 knew nothing of Manet's birth place. Originally there was a plague on the door post but there was no sign of it. I continued a little further to 20 rue Visconti, the studio of Bazille and on to have lunch in the Cafe la Palette, a favourite haunt of Artist in the area.

At 1pm I headed for the Musee d'Orsay and spent 1/2 hour in a queque to get throught the security to get inside. This was an amazing experience to see so many of the famous paintings which I had studied, and sometimes spent long days copying, right there in font of my eyes. The painting were so much brighter than the prints I had seen. Monet life long work on relected light was so clearly successful, as were the paintings of the hay stacks and the mpany view of the Cathederal at Rhoan. Renoir's great painting of 'Dancing at the Moulin de la Galette" was so colourful and bright. Manet's great skill was ever so evident in many paintings. I will have to document all the painting that impressed me.

I return to the Ile Saint Louis at 6pm and shopped for food at the local shop. My French got a workout but I found everyone was tolerant and other customers were quietly help. Asking for 'cooking oil' was a challenge but buying my vegetables and bread worked our well.

2 comments:

Fishoutofwater said...

It's like an art history lesson Bill. How exciting to soak up all that famous arty ambiance. Did you bring your paints? I hope you attempt a sitting or two while you are there. As you are discovering, there is no better thing than the real thing. Have a great time and I look forward to more adventure and musing. xLaura

Bill Filson said...

It certainly is a history lesson. I'm getting a much deeper feel for what these guys were on about. It is also making me see the difference between them and the way they diverged from each other as they got older - particularly Monet. I have a much greater regard for Manet and Renoir now.
NO - I did not bring my oil paints as I am not comfortable at setting myself up in public places for my art. I have got my sketching kit with me as I can do sketching more discreetly.